UMC Utrecht is the academic driver and one of the leading partners in the development of the regional health network. In the Utrecht Health Hub the UMC Utrecht is working, in close collaboration with regional partners from community health, care and cure, on the ambition to create a healthy environment and adequate health facilities for inhabitants of the Utrecht region. The Julius Center has committed itself in the coming years to further strengthen the development of preventive health, public health and social medicine into an integrated academic discipline. It aims to reinforce the natural link between prevention, social medicine and public health, and to implement and evaluate innovations in the public health domain. The department of Public health presently has 22 staff members, who contribute to research, education (medical curriculum and residency program) and population and preventive health programs in the region. The research portfolio covers 3 key themes: environmental health and exosome (prof Roel Vermeulen), population health and health inequality (dr Marielle Jambroes) and Vascular ageing (prof Monique Verschuren). The department closely collaborates in research and education with Utrecht Municipality department public health, with GGD Region Utrecht and is partner in the Regional Knowledge workplace Youth Utrecht.
The mission of the chair is to lead and further develop the Public Health department within the Julius Center according to the highest academic standards in education, research and preventive and public health innovation. The chair will play a leading role in implementation of innovations in prevention and public health practice, will actively participate in a network of regional, national and international collaborations in public health, acquire (inter)national funding for public health research, and establish close collaborations with the other departments within the Julius Center, with the other divisions of the UMC Utrecht, and with regional and (inter)national partners. As head of the department of public health the appointee is responsible for all research and educational activities of the department, and is expected to further expand their activities. The activities of the department should support integration of disease prevention into medical care, strengthen the role of public health physicians and stimulate evidence-based innovations in preventive care in the regional health network. The chair will also ensure that the prevention research agenda is integrated in the Connecting Worlds UMC Utrecht Strategy 2020-2025.
The University Medical Center Utrecht (UMC Utrecht) is the second largest academic center in the Netherlands, located in the very heart of the Netherlands. The UMC Utrecht finds itself in the middle of a vibrant biomedical research community: Utrecht Life Sciences. This represents a strategic alliance in education, research and entrepreneurship in the domain of the life sciences in the Utrecht area.
UMC Utrecht strives to achieve the highest levels in patient care, scientific research and education. By dedicating ourselves to continuous improvements, we can pioneer cutting-edge treatments, foster groundbreaking findings, and deliver a standard of care that meets the healthcare needs for today, and the future.
The Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, one of the ten divisions within UMC Utrecht, aims to contribute to the scientific knowledge base of medical practice and public health by initiating and conducting high-quality scientific and methodological research and by providing high-quality education in various bachelor, master and post-graduate teaching programs. The Julius Center includes four departments (General Practice; Epidemiology; Data Science & Biostatistics; Public Health, Health Innovation & Medical Humanities), which all work on the intersections of medical care, preventive and public health.
The public health department currently consists of 22 employees. The appointment will be for 0.8-1.0 FTE, under the usual conditions of UMC Utrecht.
- You are a registered physician or public health physician.
- You demomstrate affinity with public health/social medicine.
- You have academic experience in research and training in public health and/or population or preventive epidemiology.
- You demonstrate capacities to design and carry out public health research with a focus on innovations in public health.
- You are highly motivated to optimize public health practice.
Your public health research portfolio contains:
- Acquiring different types of public health research funding (national, international, personal grants, government, charity funding organizations, industry).
- You have actively participated in the (inter)national scientific and health policy community.
- You are a strong collaborator that initiates collaborative projects.
- You are a strong communicator and motivator.
- You have an extended national and international research network.
- You have proven educational experience.
- You have successfully supervised PhD students.
- You know how to create a fertile environment for teaching activities in the department, with a particular emphasis on the education of future resident’s arts M&G.
Excellent leadership skills:
- You have a creative, innovative and driven personality with organizational skills.
- You have experience in leading a research group on PI level.
- You have the ability to set strategic research goals for a research group.
- You are able to balance operational goals with coaching employees.
- You know how to successfully collaborate and supervise with public health and health care professionals.
- You have financial management skills required to lead a research group.
The maximum salary for this position (28 - 36 hours) is € 8.897,00 gross per month based on full-time employment.
In addition, we offer an annual benefit of 8.3%, holiday allowance, travel expenses and career opportunities. The terms of employment are in accordance with the Cao University Medical Centers (UMC).
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact Prof. dr. K.G.M. Moons, Hoogleraar, phone number: 0887559305, e‑mail adress: K.G.M.Moons@umcutrecht.nl.
Acquisition based on this jobopening is not appreciated.